Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Basilica of the Sacred Heart of JesusDescription :
In 1895, the then Archbishop Mgr. Gandhi consecrated the Archdiocese of Pondicherry to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and wished to build a new church in devotion of Sacred Heart of Jesus. Rev.Fr. Telesphore Welter, the parish priest of Nellithope prepared the building plan and parish priest of Cathedral Rev.Fr.Fourcaud commenced the construction of the new Church in 1902 at the Southern side of Pondicherry.
Statue of Dupleix
Statue of DupleixDescription :
The statue of Joseph Francois Dupleix, Governor General of French establishment in India (1742 to 1754) is located on the beach road, Pondicherry. The 2.88 meters tall statue is housed at the southern end of the Children’s Park. It was installed by the French government in the year 1870 when his work for the French government was officially recognized by them.